Other benefits

Action on Asbestos has a welfare rights team able to advise on all aspects of benefits and compensation. Our website contains a brief outline of the main benefits and compensation that an individual may be entitled to.

The UK system of benefits and compensation is extremely complicated and constantly evolving.  We would advise you, therefore, to contact us in the first instance if you have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related condition

Compensation and Benefits

Disability Benefits

Disability Living Allowance/Personal Independence Payment *

From April 2013 Disability Living Allowance will gradually be replaced by Personal Independence Payment for people with a long-term health condition or disability aged 16 to 64.

Note: There is no automatic transfer from DLA to PIP

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can help you with some of the extra costs if you have a long term ill-health or disability.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

  • Disability Living Allowance * (replaced for new claims from 10 June 2013 by Personal Independence Payment)
  • Personal Independence Payment *
Attendance Allowance *

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you.

It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability

* These benefits can be paid whether you work or not and are not related to your income.

Carers Benefits

If you look after someone who is disabled you may be entitled to:

Carer’s Allowance

You could get Carers Allowance if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person.

If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

Carer’s Credit

Carer’s Credit is a National Insurance credit that helps with gaps in your National Insurance record. Your State Pension is based on your National Insurance record. Your income, savings or investments won’t affect eligibility for Carer’s Credit.

Inability to work benefits

An inability to work may entitle you to benefits such as

  • Statutory Sick Pay
  • Employment & Support Allowance

Benefits for those on a low income

Universal Credit

Please note: In 2013 a new means-tested benefit called Universal Credit was introduced and gradually replaced the following benefits:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credits
  • Working Tax Credits
  • Housing Benefit

Other means-tested benefits

  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Reduction (support) Scheme (replaced Council Tax Benefit on 1 April 2013)

Qualifying conditions that apply to welfare benefits are complex and vary depending on each individual circumstance e.g whether you live alone, with a partner or family members; how old you or a partner are; whether you or a partner work or are disabled; whether any children who may live with you work or are disabled; whether you rent or have a mortgage; whether you have savings (capital) or not etc.

Given the complexity of the benefits system, it is always advisable in the first instance to contact our welfare rights service for advice before applying for any state benefits. We will be able to assess your entitlement to benefit and assist you with your applications.

Action on Asbestos Compensation & Benefits Advice Service

Disabled Parking – Blue Badge Scheme

The blue badge scheme of parking concessions is designed to help people with severe mobility problems, those who are registered blind and people who have severe restrictions in both arms by allowing them to park close to places they need to visit e.g hospital.

There are different rules which apply depending on where you live in the UK.  Essentially, if you are in receipt of the High Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance or the Enhanced Mobility Component of Personal Independence Payment; have a substantial disability which causes an inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking; are unable to walk or virtually unable to walk,  you should qualify.

Please contact our welfare rights team for further advice.

Last updated: 4 May 2020.