This scheme is designed to compensate people with Diffuse Mesothelioma who, either negligently or in breach of statutory duty, were exposed to asbestos by their employers, and who are unable to bring a claim for compensation against that employer or that employer’s Employers’ Liability insurer.
When should I make an application?
You can make an application up to three years after your first diagnosis of Diffuse Mesothelioma. Once you are in possession of the supporting evidence outlined in, however, you may want to apply as soon as possible.
If you were diagnosed between the 25th July 2012 and the date the scheme starts taking applications, you have three years to apply from the latter date.
Should a sufferer of mesothelioma pass away, the scheme can also make payments to their eligible dependants.
How to claim
From 1st April 2018, TopMark Claims Management Ltd is the appointed administrator of the Diffuse Mesothelioma Payment Scheme.
Level of payments – payment Tariff 2015 onwards
Contact Telephone number: 0330 0583 930
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
TopMark Claims Management (DMPS)
160 Bath Street
What you need to do
- Contact a solicitor to see if you can make a common law claim against your employer or employer’s insurer. If this is not possible, and you think you are eligible for a scheme payment, you can either apply to the scheme yourself, or use a solicitor to assist you in making an application to the scheme.
- If you believe you are eligible please complete the DMPS Application Form
- Submit the Application Form with the documents required either via the website or by post to the address provided on the DMPS Application Form.
- Your application may take up to six weeks to process. If the application form is not completed fully this will delay the process.
- If your application is successful, a payment will be made in accordance with the tariff. If the application is brought by two or more dependants, please see the information in the ‘Questions and Answers’ tab. The figures quoted in the tariff table are before any deductions are made for recoverable lump sum payments and social security benefits which were paid in relation to mesothelioma.
- If your application is unsuccessful and you are dissatisfied with the outcome you can request a review provided you supply information on why the decision should be reviewed.
- A review will be carried out and if you are still not satisfied with the outcome of that review you can appeal to the First Tier Tribunal which is part of the Tribunal Service.
- You may wish to contact a solicitor at any of the above stages. If you have instructed a solicitor they may help you complete the application form, obtain relevant documents with information provided by you and advise you on aspects of the eligibility criteria and about the review process if necessary.
If the applicant does not accept the Scheme Administrator’s review of the decision on an application, an appeal can be made to the First Tier Tribunal.
Further details can be located here if you require FTT forms please contact TopMark Claims Management Ltd.
Last reviewed: February 2020